“You have to stay true to your heritage; that’s what your brand is about.” – Alice Temperley
Nailing your branding is crucial for business success. A strong brand will help you stand out in the crowd. If you are an entrepreneur it is important to build a personal brand, in parallel and before your business brand
Branding in the digital age
Building a strong brand in the digital age is vital. In the last few years the digital communications revolution has completely transformed the balance of control. The consumer’s voice has become louder and much more public. Consumers can publish their experience of a brand and compare it with the experience of others. The ability of a brand to respond to this can have a profound effect on the way they are perceived.
How branding can help your business
Branding can help you stand out from your competitors, add value to your business and engage with your customers. In fact, it is so important that according to Coca Cola branding is the next essential startup competency.
Stand out from the competition
- Branding is a way of clearly highlighting what makes your product or service different to, and more desirable than your competitors. Nailing your branding and having a unique selling point (USP) is essential.
- For entrepreneurs, your personal brand and business brand are often one and the same. Get this right and your business will stand out brightly against your competitors.
- The bottom line is that a company with a strong brand is worth more than a company without one.
- Consumers will pay more for a brand with purpose. If your brand doesn’t have a strong sense of authentic purpose, you run the risk of quickly becoming irrelevant.
Connect with people
- Creating a connection with people is important for all types of businesses. Studies showthat people rely on emotions, rather than information, to make brand decisions.
- Use social media to mobilize customer engagement. If you stand out in the crowd for positive reasons and your tone of voice and communications are credible customers will look at what you’ve got to say.
How to create a strong brand
The key ingredients
- Idea – what is the great idea that lies at the heart of your business?
- Values – what are your core values? what do you believe in?
- Vision – what is your vision? where are you going?
- Personality – what is your brand identity? how do you want to come across?
- In branding and brand management a lot of importance is placed on achieving brand consistency, so that the same attributes and characteristics are evident in all areas of the business’ operations.
- You need to build a strong brand identity and you can use your packaging, stationery, marketing materials and so on to tell your brand’s story.
- Every element of your business from colours of your logo, texture of your packaging etc is part of your brand story and every element should reflect the truth about your brand back to your audience.
Reputation is key to success
- Reputation is the cornerstone of a successful brand.
- Your brand’s tone of voice, personality and visual identity must reflect the products or services you are selling to give you credibility.
Make your brand rock
- Clear, brand communication is vital to the success of your business.
- To get people’s attention you must make your brand rock!
- Brand storytelling is vital if you want to build a successful, sustainable business and a brand that will garner loyalty.
Keep your brand fresh
Keeping your brand fresh is essential. Using designers to help reassess your designs, language or identity every few years should be an ongoing investment in your business and an essential rather than an added luxury.
All successful companies revisit their communications periodically. Even some of the world’s most famous brands have had a revamp!
Here are my top 5 branding tips:
- Choose a brand name that stands out and people will remember
- Make sure your brand name reflects your product or service
- Get your logo professional designed if you can afford it with colours and imagery that reflect your brand
- Make sure you create a red-hot brand and be true to your brand – reflect it in the way you dress, look and come across
- Keep your brand fresh and exciting
To summarize, your brand defines your business from the big things like vision and values to your people, customers, suppliers and every interaction anyone is ever going to have with you, no matter how small.
For a more detailed guide, grab your free booklet now Girlboss Guide: How to Nail Branding
Bijou Concierge can help with your branding in terms of content creation, social media, blogging and email marketing support.
For further info please email email@example.com